Thursday, February 11, 2010

Not everyone has an iphone

... or even a blackberry for that matter.

Seriously?

This is shocking news to me.

How do people check their email at all hours, BBM friends, play brick-breaker, and check the latest basketball score?!

My iphone is seriously my lifeline. I cannot remember life without it (which was only six months ago because even I was late to the party on this awesome gadget).

We have become so attached to our mobile devices, that sometimes, I'm not sure we remember their main purpose - making phone calls.

I personally don't have a land line, so my iphone should first and foremost be my phone... but it's not. It is more like a best friend, that does everything I want it to.

I recently read about a phone called the Helio. This device scares me. There is a feature that lets you track your friends whereabouts (with there permission of course). I'm sure there is also a similar iphone app, but is this really necessary?

Have we already begun to cross the line with mobile devices? Now I can stalk people, great.

If we wanted to make mobile devices more effective, in a good way, they would have the capabilities to be our metro passes, credit cards, and car keys as well. This idea isn't too far off, since it's already being tested in Japan (I believe).

At the beginning of this post I thought people were crazy for not having blackberries, iphones, and other "smart" phones. However, maybe I'm the crazy one who needs a mobile device to keep track of my friends.

I'm afraid maybe I've crossed over to the dark side, since I find it acceptable to return a voice mail with a text message.

I want my old cell phone back so I can remember what a human voice sounds like.

3 comments:

  1. I am one of those people without an iPhone/Blackberry. The regular old flip phone with talk and text capability is what I survive on.

    Once you move to a smartphone is hard to go back. I have done it once (used to own a Palm Treo), but doubt I have the strength to do it a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does a new technology cause more good than harm? Thant's always the question, and I think the jury is out on a lot of technologies now because they have been introduced so fast.

    But here's a prediction: the market for low-tech getaways will expand as people seek the novelty of interacting personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to MattITEC656's comment, I think its too broad a question whether new tech does more harm than good. Some people will misuse, abuse, and become unhealthily addicted. Others will profit, become more connected, and find old tasks easier to do. I'm guessing more fall in the latter category.

    ReplyDelete